[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 03:05:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM, James Alexander
<jalexander at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader friendly.
> I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it as they are
> probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen. That said I know that
> enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in failure. The issues
> mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace" crowd which I think misses
> the point that we both "are" a social network and that we're an educational
> site (and should encourage sharing that information) but <sigh>.

I agree. Readers ask a lot about it, and so do new editors. I think it's so
lame. Then again, people said the same about the Teahouse (NOTFACEBOOK). I
wonder if we did a test for it what people would think.

Talk abou reach - we'd be getting more people to read articles and content,
which means potentially more people editing.

But, I'm also a regular Twitter user and I see boosts in viewership for
anything I post on my Twitter and Facebook. So sick of anti-social media
Wikipedia. People love to deny we are a social network, when most of us
involved in the community know that isn't true. A lot of my friends and so
forth come from the Wikipedia world. If that isn't social media, then I
don't know what is.

> The only thing to keep in mind is that we occasionally need creativity.
> The "default" way that most sites tell you to share is often

CREATIVITY? NOOO!!!! We're writing an encyclopedia....we're not being
creative!!! (sarcasm)  (Again...see the Teahouse :) )
-Sar
*Sarah Stierch*
*Museumist, open culture advocate, and Wikimedia*
*www.sarahstierch.com*