[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

James Alexander jalexander at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 18 03:00:05 UTC 2013

I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader friendly. I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it as they are probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen. That said I know that enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in failure. The issues mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace" crowd which I think misses the point that we both "are" a social network and that we're an educational site (and should encourage sharing that information) but <sigh>.

However! That doesn't stop other projects from doing it and I would love to see those that do. Wikinews has ha their social bookmarks template for a while now and we adapted it for the fundraiser a while ago on WMF wiki as well as a very nice version for the anti SOPA protests.. I don't have the links handy but can get them at home and I think the best thing to do would be to search through the history because they've gone through a couple variations. There is a bug on bugzilla as well to add the meta information required for a more useful Facebook share (and I think G+) which also is unlikely to be that big of a problem.

The only thing to keep in mind is that we occasionally need creativity. The "default" way that most sites tell you to share is often problematic for our privacy policy because it either has a script call to the home sight on page load or requires an iframe (Facebook likes I'm looking at you). That said they all have options that can work for us they are just a bit more hidden.

James

Sent from my iPhone

James Alexander
Manager - Merchandise