[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 11 00:51:56 UTC 2013

I don't know that anyone else really wants another example, but I'll offer
a couple thoughts. On a personal level, I'm happy that my contact
information is not public, but I'm also happy that the other staff members
have access to it if they need to get in touch with me urgently.

The primary benefit of a closed wiki that I see from my work perspective is
for upcoming press launches with partners when we need to embargo the
information prior to the release date. The most common example is Wikipedia
Zero. We regularly prepare documents, like the Q&A that goes with the
launch, on Office Wiki and then copy it to Foundation Wiki once the press
release is public. We could just do it in Google Docs, but we do need to
keep this information private until the launch (obviously, we wouldn't be
able to manage the story if the press got to it before we wanted them to).
Our PR work is often also part of the contract signed with the partner and
is one of the primary values they see in the partnership, so they are
usually quite concerned with keeping a tight lock on the info until the
release date.

There are also a number of password registrations to the various social
media accounts we manage, the various admin keys for the press release
distribution list and to the various lists like Wikimedia Announce-l that
would also need to stay private in some capacity. Office Wiki proves useful
for that, but theoretically there could be another arrangement, I'm sure.

Of the other material that is in the Communications corner on Office Wiki,
almost all of it is links to public wikis, so it doesn't do much more than
provide an easy location for organizing the links. That could happen just
as easily on Meta or elsewhere.

-Matthew