[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 21:07:42 UTC 2013

Oliver Keyes, 10/04/2013 22:43:

>     Are you speaking of yourself here? :)
>

> As opposed to, speaking as a staffer? Well, I work for Product
> Development. So the chances of me giving binding policy statements on
> privacy issues are slim to none :).

No: as opposed to, a staffer that is also not a very active editor. :)
The part on personal identifying information is one I understand and
that's why I asked about it, but I don't think it should be on
officewiki either; the other part on editor background I didn't
understand, and I think staffer or editor is the same for that.

> Speaking personally: I can't think of a single good reason why Victor's
> stuff should be released. [...]

Neither I do. I only asked if they *require* the compartmentalisation
that e.g. Tom described – otherwise they could as well happen in a
slightly different context (like for instance "use the internal wiki
more", given that's the thread we're in).

> An illustration here would be: I've got my engagement strategy for what
> became Page Curation on officewiki. It's a place where I can write and
> rewrite it, my bosses can check it for stupid, and if there *is* stupid
> we catch it before it causes problems.

This is fine. Way better than Google Docs shared with few people and
then quickly lost!

> Someone looking at that in
> isolation would go "this should totally be public! It's about engagement
> and deployment timetables,and we should be transparent about it".

I really can't imagine who this naïve someone could be. :)

> And we
> are transparent about it - because the document later became public, in
> an altered and finalised form. But the two aren't necessarily linked
> together, which makes this rather opaque.
>
> There are totally some docs on office-wiki that could do with more
> publicity. But there are far more that are private - fully private - for
> a good reason, and I'd imagine some of those that look ready for public
> release were, in fact, released.

Again, I'm not the one arguing for a "bias towards putting information
on public wikis" for the sake of it, in this thread. ;-)

I know that some things are always going to be private, and I also think
that we're not a totalitarian state, so even we officially disallowed
anything to be private then people would just hide better (e.g.
documents on private gdocs rather than private wikis; or the good old
local hard disk + private email).

Nemo