[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 11 15:33:05 UTC 2013

On 10 April 2013 22:07, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oliver Keyes, 10/04/2013 22:43:
>

>>     Are you speaking of yourself here? :)
>>

>> As opposed to, speaking as a staffer? Well, I work for Product
>> Development. So the chances of me giving binding policy statements on
>> privacy issues are slim to none :).
>>

> No: as opposed to, a staffer that is also not a very active editor. :) The
> part on personal identifying information is one I understand and that's why
> I asked about it, but I don't think it should be on officewiki either; the
> other part on editor background I didn't understand, and I think staffer or
> editor is the same for that.
>
> When I say "editor background" I mean things like their name, their
personal background - from those interviews I've seen, things like job and
location frequently come into it - so on and so forth. I see a fairly
substantive difference, there, in whether we give that information to
staffers (on a need-to-know basis) or decide to give it to volunteers who
are "trusted", for a given value of trusted.

>> Speaking personally: I can't think of a single good reason why Victor's
>> stuff should be released. [...]
>>

> Neither I do. I only asked if they *require* the compartmentalisation that
> e.g. Tom described – otherwise they could as well happen in a slightly
> different context (like for instance "use the internal wiki more", given
> that's the thread we're in).
>
> Yep; there's no reason we should be giving that sort of thing out to
random chapters people or trusted volunteers; they have no use case for it.

>> An illustration here would be: I've got my engagement strategy for what
>> became Page Curation on officewiki. It's a place where I can write and
>> rewrite it, my bosses can check it for stupid, and if there *is* stupid
>> we catch it before it causes problems.
>>

> This is fine. Way better than Google Docs shared with few people and then
> quickly lost!
>
> Agreed. Every time someone says "we can just use a google doc!" I groan
;p. It's like: you know, if only we *built* a collaborative document
editing too-wait.

--
Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development