[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 10 20:43:33 UTC 2013

> Are you speaking of yourself here? :)

As opposed to, speaking as a staffer? Well, I work for Product Development.
So the chances of me giving binding policy statements on privacy issues are
slim to none :).

Speaking personally: I can't think of a single good reason why Victor's
stuff should be released. Speaking as a staffer: I'd rather everyone and
their pet dog didn't have my phone number, even if we saw Everyone's
passport at one point :).  There's definitely stuff on officewiki that
should be more public (speaking just for my own work, there's a lot of
strategic planning there) but I'd argue the docs available on officewiki
don't accuratey represent the public availability *of* those docs; we can
see that docX exists on officewiki, and is to do with something the
communities care about, but that doesn't mean a concrete form of docX
wasn't then /released/ to the community for their perusal, consideration,
comment and vote.

An illustration here would be: I've got my engagement strategy for what
became Page Curation on officewiki. It's a place where I can write and
rewrite it, my bosses can check it for stupid, and if there *is* stupid we
catch it before it causes problems. Someone looking at that in isolation
would go "this should totally be public! It's about engagement and
deployment timetables,and we should be transparent about it". And we are
transparent about it - because the document later became public, in an
altered and finalised form. But the two aren't necessarily linked together,
which makes this rather opaque.

There are totally some docs on office-wiki that could do with more
publicity. But there are far more that are private - fully private - for a
good reason, and I'd imagine some of those that look ready for public
release were, in fact, released.

Apologies for the TL;DR rant :)

--
Oliver Keyes