[Wikimedia-l] "Adopt a page"

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Mon Apr 1 15:14:17 UTC 2013

Le 2013-03-30 09:54, Craig Franklin a écrit :
> It comes down to asking what the purpose of the Foundation and a
> project
> like Wikipedia is.  Is it to produce a free source of knowledge, or
> is to
> promote volunteerism?  If it's possible to build a better
> encyclopædia by
> encouraging paid editing or allowing for-profit entities to sponsor a
> particular page, then that's a possibility that we ought to make
> ourselves
> open to.  Volunteerism, of course, has served the movement well and
> got us
> to where we find ourselves today, but it is not and should not be
> considered an end unto itself.
>
> Of course, as has been pointed out, there are potential pitfalls with
> this
> model that have been discussed many times - there are many potential
> COI
> issues, and paid editing in some areas may discourage unpaid editing
> in
> others.  However, I think it would be unwise simply to dismiss those
> sort
> of possibilities out of hand.

How do you measure risk? Because, as I percieve it, once you lost
unpaid editors confidence, it will be at least as difficult to make them
come back as to go from scratch again. So you better have to be
absolutely sure it won't break the community before you go in such major
political change.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/