[Wikimedia-l] Throttling (was: Re: Please can someone put 50p in the meter)

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:36:26 UTC 2012

On 15/10/12 16:15, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Edit_throttling is well worth
> reading, especially the warning that "Many users sharing the same IP
> address could kick in throttling". Which seems a pretty clear indication to
> me that this is working at the IP level and looking at all edits by newbies
> and unregistered editors, rather than treating each member of the workshop
> separately. Once you get to each trainee you find that previewing and
> trying to save again will usually solve the problem, but leave you unable
> to replicate the bug.
>
> So I think we have found our problem! Now lets see how many months it takes
> to fix it.

That's right. The ip limit applies to both anon and newbie users. The
newbie limit applies by action and user, and the ip limit by action and ip.
So if you have many newbies going out through the same ip, they all
aggregate in the same count.

> Presumably established users of some sort are whitelisted through
> this? (...) But other editors have complained that Cat a Lot doesn't
> work for them and mysteriously hangs or fails,

If you are autoconfirmed, newbie and ip limits don't apply to you.

> One obvious workaround is to use multiple IPs in the same workshop. I think
> the cost of Satellite broadband is only a few hundred quid a year per
> subscription. I've already proposed a subscription for the UK as it would
> enable  people to run editing sessions at big public events such as county
> shows, but it would also help counter this bug.
>
> WSC

When we whitelist an ip for a workshop, we should also be increasing the
throttling limit for that ip.