[Wikimedia-l] Throttling (was: Re: Please can someone put 50p in the meter)

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:15:37 UTC 2012

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Edit_throttling is well worth
reading, especially the warning that "Many users sharing the same IP
address could kick in throttling". Which seems a pretty clear indication to
me that this is working at the IP level and looking at all edits by newbies
and unregistered editors, rather than treating each member of the workshop
separately. Once you get to each trainee you find that previewing and
trying to save again will usually solve the problem, but leave you unable
to replicate the bug.

So I think we have found our problem! Now lets see how many months it takes
to fix it.

One obvious workaround is to use multiple IPs in the same workshop. I think
the cost of Satellite broadband is only a few hundred quid a year per
subscription. I've already proposed a subscription for the UK as it would
enable  people to run editing sessions at big public events such as county
shows, but it would also help counter this bug.

WSC