[Wikimedia-l] Fundraiser launch update

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 15:23:07 UTC 2012

On 27 November 2012 15:06, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the announcement. I'm curious how it will work out.
>
> Would it be possible to give a ballpark figure on what percentage of what
> amount you're expecting/aiming to collect in these five countries in this
> month, and how much in the rest of the world? I mean, do you expect to
> raise 10%, 40%, 70% or 90% of the whole movement budget? (I know I could
> probably look up last years numbers and guess some myself, but you probably
> already did this :) ).

You can find last year's numbers here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2011/report#Top_10_Countries_Donating_to_Wikimedia_Movement_.28to_WMF_or_Local_Chapter.29

The US, Canada, UK and Australia (New Zealand didn't make the top 10,
although the numbers will be in the Google spreadsheet linked from
that page if you want them) raised 58% of the total (including money
raised by chapters). Germany, France and Switzerland, who will also be
fundraising over the winter as far as I know, raised 23%. That leaves
19% from countries that will have the later fundraiser (minus a little
for NZ). Hopefully it will be more this year, since the fundraising
team will be able to focus on them.