[Wikimedia-l] A place for project wide discussions

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Fri Nov 16 15:30:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:07:56 +0100, Juergen Fenn wrote:
> 2012/11/16 Ziko van Dijk <vandijk at wmnederland.nl>:
>
> I agree to Ziko's point of view. I think we are at a crucial point in
> the Wikimedia movement because we now have the opportunity to finally
> create a common village pump for all projects. I think we should use
> the impetus from the adoption of Wikivoyage and new Wikidata and
> create a common place for discussion and anything meta between all
> projects on Meta Wiki.
>
> Regards,
> Jürgen.

Actually, common village pump for all projects, it is located here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum

Just nobody uses it, because most users are active in the projects and
not active on meta, and global watchlists were discussed for at least
five years and are on the way to be discussed for another five years at
least.

But I think the point (at leat originally) was not so much to have the
global discussion forum or the global village pump, but to have a common
place for Wikivoyage discussions, which so far were held on the old
Wikivoyage, but now are stale since the old Wikivoyage is locked for
editing, and anyway it is not a WMF project.

Cheers
Yaroslav