[Wikimedia-l] FDC recommendations on funds allocation, Round 1, 2012-13

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Fri Nov 16 13:36:28 UTC 2012

thanks, Osmar.

I don't have to state the obvious, that over the last couple of weeks we've
been putting several hours per day into the FDC process, besides our real
jobs, and besides the 4-day session we held. This is what needed to be done
and we have no complaints and Thomas is right that being a volunteer is no
excuse. It actually means that we participate voluntary, by free will, and
without lowering any of the professional standards we bring from our real
life.

Also, the fact that we're not native speakers is irrelevant - all of us
have experience in writing longer pieces, most of us have experience with
NGO evaluation, finance, or management, and handling documents related to
it. What takes much more time that actual writing down is agreeing on the
message to the letter.

One thing that I'm really proud of is that we have been able to work
relying on the consensus principle, and many varied perspectives and
different angles of analysis (including e.g. areas where we sought
alternatives to  the analyses provided by FDC staff and created our own
models and simulations) came down to a recommendation we all agreed that we
are fine with.

I don't think it is realistic now to expect that we will be able to provide
detailed feedback for each of the entities, also because of the fact that
we treat reaching a consensus very seriously. We have been writing and
rewriting the recommendation you have seen for quite a while, to make sure
that it reflects our consensus fully, and it takes time.

However, I hear your feedback and all of us at the FDC will think how to
make sure that the whole process, and the amount of work and discussions,
is more reflected in the final outcome of a recommendation. We definitely
do not want to be a professional blackbox, and we've been really making
efforts to make the application and project discussion transparent and
collaborative (and we do hope it will be even more so, also from the
chapters' side).

best,

Dariusz