[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 08:04:09 UTC 2012

Risker is right.  This mainly reflects long-standing reality in a more
transparent way, and is an exercise in more effective delegation.  A few
years back the staff liaison to the Board (James) took many of the notes at
meetings, which was helpful; since then the Secretary has done much of that
directly.  Rather than returning to that halfway situation, I am glad to
see the Secretary role become a staff function.

The Treasurer role used to include work that would normally be handled by a
CFO.  Now that we have a talented CFO in Garfield, that has largely become
a staff function.  So it seems more transparent to separate the Treasurer
role from the work of the Audit Committee - and delegate it explicitly to
the CFO.  Oversight of financial strategy and auditing remains a Board
role, and the Audit Committee is run by Board members.  The need for
financial expertise on the Board remains strong -- in fact it grows as the
foundation grows in size.  But now this need is weighted more towards
financial oversight than towards accounting.

At any rate, I think it makes sense for bylaws changes of any size to be
publicized in advance. I've proposed a specific policy change here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_board_manual#Bylaws_updates

Risker writes:
> Now, if the Board had been deciding on its composition (which as best I
can tell was never
> publicly discussed the last time it was changed), I think that would
certainly benefit from
> community input.

Yes.  And every year it would be good to have community input on the Board
- from how it is functioning to Board composition and recruitment of good
candidates for selections + elections + appointments.

Regards,
SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266