[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:51:55 UTC 2012

Risker, 06/11/2012 03:26:
> On 5 November 2012 20:01, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bylaw changes are never housekeeping.
>
>[sniiiiiiiip]
>
>Somewhere in 500,000 bytes, do you
> really think there was any likelihood that there would have been anything
> posted that would have improved this housekeeping change?

TL;DR: if we've already decided that what we're doing is The Best
Decision Ever Possible, why ask to comment?
Sure, but the point of transparency is that sometimes one fails to see
things that others may usefully point out, therefore I find your reply
completely useless for a constructive approach.
John's point is a very simple one and no, there's no reason whatsoever
to avoid advertising bylaws changes in advance, as Sj himself just said.

Nemo

P.s.: I've been part of the bylaws reform committee of my University,
which is way bigger and more complex than the WMF's, and yes, we argued
quite a lot even on commas and publicly asked feedback for everything
(or at least officially tried to, and sometimes failed) because in
bylaws every detail matters.