[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:21:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>wrote:

> Dear Bishakha,
>
> could you please elaborate why the board has chosen for a secretive
> amendment procedure here, rather than sharing the proposed amendments with
> the community and asking their input on it? Especially where it concerns
> such non-trivial changes.
>
> Ok, now that the document showing old and new has finally been uploaded, I
will try to answer your question.

The legal team proposed that we amend the bylaws, primarily to ensure
compliance with Florida non-profit laws.

Since most of the changes are legal in nature, they were not referred to
the community for prior input.

I understand how this action can be seen as secretive or opaque, even
though it may not have been intended as such.

Is it also possible to see this action as reasonable, given the nature of
most of the changes?

Just asking! Feel free to disagree,
Bishakha