[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jun 21 22:02:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Tobias Oelgarte
<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 21.06.2012 22:51, schrieb Anthony:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Tobias Oelgarte
>> <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you point me to any examples of real "child abuse", "sexual abuse" or
>>> of
>>> "child sexual abuse"?
>>
>> On Wikipedia?  On Commons?  Anywhere?
>
> Do i really need to answer this question, depending on where we discuss?

Well, I still don't know the answer.

>> For "child sexual abuse", I was referring mainly to the Virgin Killer
>> image (and as I said, whether or not the image constitutes this is
>> disputed).
>
> You call the Virgin Killer image "child sexual abuse"? Truly?

It depicts an instance of child sexual abuse, yes.

>> For "child abuse", see
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Erichsen_Abused_San_or_Nama_child_prisoners_p._52_v2.jpg
>>
> I don't see any problem with this image. It documents child abuse as a fact
> without advocating it.

Okay, I don't understand your request.

I thought you wanted me to give you an examples of these images.

>> For "sexual abuse", a simple search came up with
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AG-10.jpg (which isn't on the
>> English Wikipedia except through image search, but is on other
>> language Wikipedias.
>
> I would be truly shocked if that image or another version of it isn't used.

"No pages on the English Wikipedia link to this file."

7 other Wikipedias do use the image

(Ah, going to [[Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse]] I see why.
The English Wikipedia is using the version of the image without the
blur/censorship.)

> Are that examples of images you find shocking or that should not be shown on
> Wikipedia or hosted on Commons?

I was responding to your request to point you to examples.