[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Jul 11 10:12:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:47:09 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Виктория <mstislavl1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I don't know if we "won". The main contentious issues remain in the
>> law,
>> the author of the proposed law accuses Wikipedia of being
>> "comissioned by
>> a  paedophile lobby" (that again, and I don't think  she knows about
>> Larry
>> Sanger's campaign) and there is an ArbCom case brewing. The
>> Community will
>> be disrupted for weeks, because some people had decided to emulate
>> EnWiki
>> success skipping the due process and flex a political muscle.
>
> The message has been understood clearly, as it was the case with
> Italian law and SOPA. One thing is what a group of morons from a
> lobby
> group or a group inside of a ruling party could do, completely other
> is what the government would do. Lobbyists and random dilettantes
> won't deal with the consequences of clearly expressed opposition by
> the wide specter of society.

Milos, do you have any evidence that what you have written is correct?
Just a single fact? So far the law was accepted in the second reading
basically unchanged, and is currently undergoing the third reading
(which is also expected to pass unchanged). The minister already
expressed full support of the law and disapproved the action of Russian
Wikipedia. What are your statements based on? On opinions of WM-Russia
who failed to take any action after the law passed the first reading on
July 6 but were of course happy to issue a statement after the decision
was taken on July 9?

Cheers
Yaroslav