[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:21:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:
> Milos, do you have any evidence that what you have written is correct? Just
> a single fact? So far the law was accepted in the second reading basically
> unchanged, and is currently undergoing the third reading (which is also
> expected to pass unchanged). The minister already expressed full support of
> the law and disapproved the action of Russian Wikipedia. What are your
> statements based on? On opinions of WM-Russia who failed to take any action
> after the law passed the first reading on July 6 but were of course happy to
> issue a statement after the decision was taken on July 9?

As written above:

"Communication Minister Nikolai Nikiforov was also negative about the
current version of the bill, but was more relaxed about the possible
outcomes. “I don’t support Wiki’s contention that it would be closed
down. But this step is an important reaction by society, a sign that
the legislation needs to be improved,” he tweeted on Tuesday morning."
[1]

-- which means that you should just remind him at the right time,
before the third reading. (By closing Wikipedia again, of course.)

[1] http://themoscownews.com/russia/20120710/189942195.html