[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia goes on strike

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:47:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Виктория <mstislavl1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if we "won". The main contentious issues remain in the law,
> the author of the proposed law accuses Wikipedia of being "comissioned by
> a  paedophile lobby" (that again, and I don't think  she knows about Larry
> Sanger's campaign) and there is an ArbCom case brewing. The Community will
> be disrupted for weeks, because some people had decided to emulate EnWiki
> success skipping the due process and flex a political muscle.

The message has been understood clearly, as it was the case with
Italian law and SOPA. One thing is what a group of morons from a lobby
group or a group inside of a ruling party could do, completely other
is what the government would do. Lobbyists and random dilettantes
won't deal with the consequences of clearly expressed opposition by
the wide specter of society.

BTW, 292:22 doesn't look like a lack of participation nor as a lack of
consensus. And the actions which affect the real world have their
right time, unlike building the knowledge.