[Foundation-l] Blink tag jokes are now obsolete.

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 00:36:52 UTC 2012

On 1 January 2012 00:24, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> And when it was pointed out that a reference to Sue Gardner as
> "Wikipedia Executive Director" was inaccurate, Zack's initial response
> was "We're going to test Wikimedia against Wikipedia in the banner
> right now."  (In other words, "We'll test the truth against a
> falsehood to see which brings in more money.")
>
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2010-December/062932.html
>
> I find this attitude rather disconcerting.

It got worse. They changed it to "Wikimedia Executive Director" and
when it was pointed out that it should be "Wikimedia Foundation
Executive Director" Philippe (who was running the fundraiser last
year) said (on 13 December 2010 on the Fundraising mailing list, which
is private so I can't give a link): "So yeah, we're doing everything
we can to maximize the income." (I won't quote the entire paragraph,
but the context is essentially "Yeah, we know there are problems with
these banners but they raise money so we're going to do it anyway.")

It is, as you say, a very disconcerting attitude.