[Foundation-l] Call for nominations: chapter-appointed seats on the WMF Board of Trustees

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 00:06:37 UTC 2012

2012/2/2 Oliver Keyes <okeyes at wikimedia.org>:
> Oh, agreed. But what I'm interested in is not "should be", but whether the
> rhetoric in internal chapter elections is usually dominated by, or even
> includes, mention of the wider governance issues.
>
> I think chapters have a crucial role to play in movement governance, and
> that trustees of each chapter should be at the forefront of that. But are
> they selected with that role in mind?

Well, for WM-IT all assemblies are open to public and we always tried
to have them at least audio-streamed if we technically could (but that
would be in Italian, though).

Anyway, from the results of the least chapter and community seats
election my opinion is that the former are *waaaayyy* more
en.wiki-centered than the first.

I am surely highly biased, but I think people in the chapters having
to confront with their local reality (here included local
legislation), with the WMF and the communities of the projects (for
events, meetups, etc.) have more opportunities to gain a "global
governance" perspective than others.
Both in the sense of the whole "Wikimedia world" from editors up to
the WMF staff and the WMF Board, but also in the sense of a better
perception of the diversity of the conditions and characteristics of
the different parts of the Wikimedia movement around the world.

Cristian
WM-IT