[Wikimedia-l] brief WMDE fundraising update

Michael Jahn michael.jahn at wikimedia.de
Mon Dec 17 14:26:22 UTC 2012

...gave you a link to an alternate version of the mentioned video in the
last email (short version, Pavel Richter only). Sorry. Here's the original
one, with readers speaking:
https://vimeo.com/55371105

Speaking of both versions, we're testing their respective performances.

Regards,
Michael Jahn

2012/12/17 Michael Jahn <michael.jahn at wikimedia.de>

> Dear all,
>
> just a brief update from Wikimedia Deutschland on our current fundraising
> campaign. It's been running since November 13, involving variations of facts
> banners in combination with personal appeals. We're on track to reaching our
> campaign goal of around € 5 m. by the end of this year. The personal
> appeals appear as drop-down messages along our donation form, once readers
> click on the sticking facts banners.The appeals include messages from Wikipedians,
> donors, readers and WMDE staff.
>
> In short, we're combining facts with changing elements. As in past years,
> a personal message by Jimmy is one of the personal appeals. Unlike past
> years, various other appeals are performing well enough for us to be able
> to significantly reduce Jimmy's presence, favoring a more diverserepresentation of the people behind Wikipedia. Note,
> however, that these observations are to be evaluated in the context of thefacts bannersattracting attention first.
>

> More detailed information will follow as soon as reliable figures are
> available.
>
> One more thing: We created a short video clip as a further means todiversifying our
> campaign approach. It's a 2 min. piece that we produced with a small team while
> the campaign got off the ground in late November. It features Wikipedia
> readers who talk about their favorite Wikipedia word, capped off by our
> CEO Pavel Richter. In essence, he points to the fact that we've come to
> take Wikipedia for granted and why we all should support it. We've been using
> the video since last Wednesday, interchangeably with text appeals. Again,
> no in-depth evaluation (not while the campaign is in full swing), but the
> video seems to be at a performance level with the most effective of our
> personal appeals.
>
> Find the video here. It's in German, though!
> https://vimeo.com/55612721
>
> Facts and figures to follow.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jahn
> Public Relations
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Obentrautstraße 72 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 260
>
> http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
> Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>
> *Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales
> Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird. Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition:*
> http://wikipedia.de/wke/Main_Page?setlang=de

Öffentlichkeitsarbeit