[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Victor Grigas vgrigas at wikimedia.org
Thu Aug 9 01:07:14 UTC 2012

Labas!

My 2 cents:

Overall the team at http://www.newisnew.lt/lt have some very good ideas to
share, however:

If you are colorblind, the rainbow thing wont make any sense, and I
strongly dislike the idea of burying smaller languages under a mouse. I
think that Lithuanians (this re-design has been proposed by a Lithuanian
firm) might be able to understand my dislike of that idea (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_press_ban). Also the W as a logo is
EXTREMELY Euro-centric. In my opinion the puzzle globe, while it's busy, is
a healthier representation of what the project is and represents. It's busy
like a European coat-of-arms is busy: you won't understand it until you
spend some time understanding the complexity of the symbols and their
relationships to each other.

The designers should post mock-ups of their work here if they are serious
about making a change:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:2012_main_page_redesign_proposal