[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: European Mathematical Society and Springer create Encyclopedia of Mathematics wiki...

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Fri Apr 20 19:58:49 UTC 2012

> I am very much in favour of including other wikis in external links
> and references because I think it is a big mistake that Wikimedia
> projects isolate each other from the rest of the wikisphere. We do
> not
> treasure other wikis enough, behaving as though we were different
> from
> them, even better, which is not always true. Of course we cannot use
> another wiki that cites Wikipedia as a reference for Wikipedia,
> again.
> But we can use another wiki as a reference if it provides really good
> content on a subject matter which is often the case.
>
> Regards,
> Jürgen.

For instance, we have Scholarpedia, which is a reliable source (no
doubts about it), they have editors responsible for different fields,
these editors are appointed by the Editor-in-Chief, and each article is
written by a single author and by invitation only. Do we want it to be a
part of WMF? I do not immediately see any net benefit.

Cheers
Yaroslav