[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: European Mathematical Society and Springer create Encyclopedia of Mathematics wiki...

Juergen Fenn schneeschmelze at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:41:20 UTC 2012

Am 20. April 2012 21:10 schrieb Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>:

>> This does raise an interesting sourcing issue though -- the published
>> Encyc. of Math is certainly a reputable source, and should be cited in
>> the appropriate Wikipedia articles, though I know there's a lot of
>> debate around whether to cite other wikis as sources. And on the
>> Encyclopedia of Math wiki talk page there's a debate about whether
>> they should copy material from Wikipedia!

> I guess your last paragraph answers the question which you ask in the
> last-but-one paragraph: because Encyc. of Math is a reputable source, and we
> are not (and not supposed to be). Evenb though quality of some of our
> articles may be better.

The Encyclopaedia of Math is not an ordinary wiki. It is a mixture of
copyrighted content and new contributions by other editors under
cc-by-sa. Can you tell one from another?

I am very much in favour of including other wikis in external links
and references because I think it is a big mistake that Wikimedia
projects isolate each other from the rest of the wikisphere. We do not
treasure other wikis enough, behaving as though we were different from
them, even better, which is not always true. Of course we cannot use
another wiki that cites Wikipedia as a reference for Wikipedia, again.
But we can use another wiki as a reference if it provides really good
content on a subject matter which is often the case.

Regards,
Jürgen.