[Foundation-l] An technical idea on spreading and improving Chinese Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:11:26 UTC 2009

2009/2/20 Mingli Yuan <mingli.yuan at gmail.com>:
> Since "Songhu Hui" use Wordpress, so I just propose a technical idea to
> improve the cooperation between Wikimedia and "Songhu Hui". How about a
> keyword-link-generator to Wikipedia for Wordpress? This new Wordpress plugin
> will query Wikipedia to get a keyword list, and then make links in article
> in Wordpress automatically. But some technical problems still be there, for
> example, the Chinese word segmentation.

I can certainly see the benefit of this, but automatic linking is full
of problems. I don't know Chinese, so I'll have to give examples in
English, hopefully the concepts still apply: Should words like "the"
be linked? Probably not, but that means we need a list of words to
exclude, that list may not really be the same for all articles (an
advanced article might not link words that a more basic article would,
for example). Should "blue whale" be "[[blue]] [[whale]]" or "[[blue
whale]]"? This is almost impossible to deal with in English, I expect
it is different in Chinese, but I don't know if it would be easier or
harder.

Link suggestion is much easier - perhaps we could write a plugin that
suggests possible words to link to Wikipedia and the author can choose
which ones are appropriate.