[Foundation-l] An technical idea on spreading and improving Chinese Wikipedia

Mingli Yuan mingli.yuan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:34:04 UTC 2009

First, let me demonstrate a case for the liveliness of Chinese Internet
users on knowledge sharing. It is the "Songshu Hui"( the
Squirrel-Organization http://songshuhui.net/ ), an new branding for
scientific knowledge sharing in Mainland China right now. So far about one
hundred of scientific-writers are working for this organization, and most of
them own a master or doctor degree. The gathering of strength of these
writers are powerful, even the top-ten official newspapers in China had
reported them.

By contrast, personally I think Chinese Wikipedia is weaker in popularity in
China right now, but I never deny the usefulness of Wikipedia in all.

Since "Songhu Hui" use Wordpress, so I just propose a technical idea to
improve the cooperation between Wikimedia and "Songhu Hui". How about a
keyword-link-generator to Wikipedia for Wordpress? This new Wordpress plugin
will query Wikipedia to get a keyword list, and then make links in article
in Wordpress automatically. But some technical problems still be there, for
example, the Chinese word segmentation.

If this idea will be technically available, this kind of tool will spread
and improve Chinese Wikipedia greatlly.