[Foundation-l] Rewarding volunteers

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 01:02:50 UTC 2004

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:

> Jens-

> > some Wikipedians DID
> > repeatedly float the (IMHO inane) idea of blocking anon editing
>
> If people provide logical arguments, then we should discuss them
> and try
> to refine our reasoning and our conclusions. I for one remain
> unconvinced
> that the larger Wikimedia projects benefit from anonymous editing,
> and
> there's little empirical evidence either way. Putting the account
> creation
> form on the edit screen would probably filter out many random
> vandals and
> spammers while still assuring near-instant participation.
>
> "IMHO inane" is quite dismissive - especially given the fact that
> people
> have actually provided very coherent arguments here.

He did say that this was his opinion.
I personally would not have participated in W if anons could not
edit. Not because I want to edit as an anon, which I very seldom do,
but because allowing anons to edit says something about our embracing
the wiki philosophy that resonates with me, and I am sure, a great
many contributors.

I doubt seriously that any study or set of studies could demonstrate
that.

<snip>

> I refuse to pretend that I see insight where I see fear, but I
> acknowledge
> that the sarcasm was slightly over the top and apologize for any
> hurt
> feelings. Please let's have discussions based on sound arguments
> rather
> than on emotional themes from George Orwell books. That is more
> productive
> and more respectful towards everyone involved in this project.
>
> Sysops and developers fulfill many thankless duties. There's no
> need to
> constantly praise them, and they are obviously not beyond reproach.
> But
> criticism should be constructive ("actionable") and have a clear,
> empirically demonstrated basis in reality.

Well put.

=====
Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell