[Foundation-l] Rewarding volunteers

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Sep 14 17:58:00 UTC 2004

Jens-
> Some sysops and developers ARE getting more power

Aside from the fact that new people always advance within the existing
hierarchies - a good thing, I'm sure you will agree -, I see no evidence
that privileges have actually been extended in any significant manner. Not
on the projects I've worked on. What are you talking about?

> some Wikipedians DID
> repeatedly float the (IMHO inane) idea of blocking anon editing

If people provide logical arguments, then we should discuss them and try
to refine our reasoning and our conclusions. I for one remain unconvinced
that the larger Wikimedia projects benefit from anonymous editing, and
there's little empirical evidence either way. Putting the account creation
form on the edit screen would probably filter out many random vandals and
spammers while still assuring near-instant participation.

"IMHO inane" is quite dismissive - especially given the fact that people
have actually provided very coherent arguments here.

> However, for you to categorically state that "the trend is the exact
> opposite of what you claim it is"

I only "categorically state" things when they are obvious, or when I've
provided a line of reasoning to do so, as I have here. You have provided
no evidence for your above assertion and nor has the original poster.

I refuse to pretend that I see insight where I see fear, but I acknowledge
that the sarcasm was slightly over the top and apologize for any hurt
feelings. Please let's have discussions based on sound arguments rather
than on emotional themes from George Orwell books. That is more productive
and more respectful towards everyone involved in this project.

Sysops and developers fulfill many thankless duties. There's no need to
constantly praise them, and they are obviously not beyond reproach. But
criticism should be constructive ("actionable") and have a clear,
empirically demonstrated basis in reality.

Erik