[Foundation-l] Rewarding volunteers

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Tue Sep 14 11:52:42 UTC 2004

John Collison wrote this email:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2004-September/
000959.html

Erik Moeller replied with this email:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2004-September/
000962.html
(also see below)

Erik,

John was making some valid observations.

Some sysops and developers ARE getting more power, some Wikipedians DID
repeatedly float the (IMHO inane) idea of blocking anon editing and
there IS a trial for paying developers.

It's true that there are offsetting factors:
- Most if not all of the powers that sysops and developers are getting
were previously held by Jimmy Wales et al. (who however--as far as I'm
aware--exhibited considerable restraint in using them).
- The idea of blocking barring anons from editing was not accepted by
the wider Wikipedia community and indeed never got very far.
- At this stage of our project, where there is a large user base and
thus frequent demands to our developers, paying them might simply
reflect the economics of demand and supply: Developers can't put in all
that time the community cries out for without some remuneration.
Thinking about paying developers could be seen as more on par to
investing in hardware -- it's paying for a more or less essential
component towards the continued success of the Wikipedia.

So there are pros and cons. The situation and recent developments can
be interpreted differently. John voiced his concerns based on his
reading of the situation and his POV. You may see an emphasis on other
things and have a different POV.

However, for you to categorically state that "the trend is the exact
opposite of what you claim it is" and then move on to irony and
ridicule (if not sarcasm) -- I feel that that was not very kind to say
the least. As John wrote, this was his first post to this mailing list.
If this is how you welcome people and invite them to participate in our
discussion -- well... I trust you're getting my drift.

I may want to add: I strongly seconded John's email -- I feel there IS
a danger and temptation for us "two-legged pigs" to become like the
human peasants and for some of us to become "more equal than others".
(cf. Animal Farm) That that hasn't happened yet is a testament to those
intrepid Wikipedians who defended our freedoms by eloquently and
successfully making the case to the community that they should be
preserved, even as other fruits looked tempting and were hanging low.
But just because farsighted people voiced warnings in the past and
successfully got the community to choose a better course (where some
things even improved) doesn't mean that that was natural or inevitable.
I also feel it would be unfair to construe John's email as belittling
these past efforts (which maybe could be a reason for your
indignation?) -- his words IMHO don't detract from the good things that
have happened in the past but are a warning about our present course.
Things can go wrong and we as are not infallible, even as a community.
That's why we need words of warning like John's and he should be
''commended'', not rebuked for saying them.

-- Jens [[User:Ropers|Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com