[WikiEN-l] Signpost and basic journalistic integrity

Tony Souter tony1 at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 5 10:55:56 UTC 2013

Charles, to respond to one of the most charming WPians I know: if your question is what I personally think the Signpost should do, I suppose there are both positive and negative dimensions. The SP project is uniquely placed to both critically scrutinise the Wikimedia movement in all its complexity, and to highlight its achievements. The journalist in me finds the common link between these opposites to be reader interest – if we're boring, no one will read us, and nor should they. If the Signpost  is sometimes provocative, that's part of the deal and why we have talk pages. I believe the movement is better off having coverage that is independent of the WMF and of any particular community (we have narrowly avoided too close an association with the "establishment" on several counts).

I concede that the Wikivoyage piece might have been better categorised as an op-ed, but the truth is that no one comes forward to help out in the weekly grind of churning out a publication that everyone has come to expect, gratis. So this week there was no News and notes material aside from the bullets at the bottom, and the Wikivoyage story was waiting in the wings. The Ed17 and other regulars are really hard-pressed in real life at the moment. We do our best with very few staff, and often wish for a break.

Tony