[WikiEN-l] Signpost and basic journalistic integrity

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 5 10:42:12 UTC 2013

On 5 November 2013 07:42, Tony Souter <tony1 at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Nathan, it's a pity you've decided to smear me on a public list without
> even informing me. I was alerted to this by an existing subscriber and have
> since subscribed myself so that I can respond.

Tony, welcome to this list. Wikien-l is not so much used these days, and it
sometimes reminds me of the British House of Lords. The subscribers tend to
be people who still remember the old English Wikipedia days of up to a
decade ago, and it's a talking shop that can at times be insightful, but
has little or no influence.

The journalism in the Signpost these days is subject to much comment, as
you are probably aware. I don't imagine you are concerned, as long as
people read it (I do). Doings on Wikivoyage aren't really on-topic for this
list, but the Signpost is. The phrase "yellow press" is one I have seen
applied. It might be appropriate for you to explain what you are trying to
do with the Signpost, now you have made a rebuttal.

Charles