[WikiEN-l] Wired on the Spanish mutiny

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 23 13:39:12 UTC 2011

On 23/01/2011 05:13, Tony Sidaway wrote:
> 'I must be very naive not to have realised, all this time, that the
> so-called "English Wikipedia" was actually the "American Wikipedia".
> Or could that nomenclature reveal a somewhat suspicious starting
> point?'
>
> I don't see a problem with that choice of words. While there are large
> numbers of non-American contributors much of the English Wikipedia is
> about subjects of interest to American writers and written from a
> largely American point of view. I would not be surprised if this were
> even more pronounced in the early days.
(Something odd about your citing here, Tony.) Actually I think that
misrepresents the history. The early days of the English Wikipedia
featured a large proportion of non-native speakers of English contributing.

Anyway NPOV is not negotiable, as we know. There is  systemic bias
towards American topics, as there is towards Anglospheric topics more
generally, but that is another issue. (It is true that American
sensibilities on 9/11 were treated with kid gloves for a while.)

Charles