[WikiEN-l] Wired on the Spanish mutiny

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:10:14 UTC 2011

Re: The early days of the English Wikipedia featured a large
proportion of non-native speakers of English contributing.

Not just the early days, one can't spend long at new page patrol in
particular without coming across an amazing variety of nationalities
of authors. I suspect a couple of things drive this, firstly the
English Wikipedia as the first and largest and most widely read is
also in some ways a shared repository - people translate articles into
English from everywhere and I suspect they then get translated all
over wikimedia. Secondly I rather suspect that a lot of editors have
at least a secondary motivation of improving their writing skills in
the language they are editing in - I might try and get a question on
this into one of our user surveys.

WereSpielChequers