[WikiEN-l] Scale of online resources, was Re: Rating the English wikipedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 17 09:38:36 UTC 2011

On 16/02/2011 23:56, Carcharoth wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> There's a *heck* of a lot still to be written.
> On that topic, I came across this interesting essay:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Modelling_Wikipedia_extended_growth
>
> It tries to project to the year 2025!
I'd be interested in any discussion at all on the amount of useful
material  out there (on the Web) and how it is changing. It is a fact
that there are more and more reliable sources posted that can be used to
create articles. This is a factor that affects directly what actually
gets written, as opposed to what potentially might be a topic to write
about.

I think we just don't know how much will be around in 2025 that could
support our work, either in the form of public domain reference
material, or respectable scholarly webpages to which we can link.
Extrapolations leaving out this factor aren't worth as much as they
might be.

Charles