[WikiEN-l] Scale of online resources, was Re: Rating the English wikipedia

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:54:23 UTC 2011

Even if the online resources didn't improve, and we could really do
with a big improvement in parts of the developing world, as long as
the Internet continues to be updated we can expect a steady flow of
new articles. Sports, Politics, popular culture and science are all
going to generate new articles for the foreseeable future.  We
currently have half a million biographies of living people, assuming
we keep our current notability standards and coverage levels, then to
keep that number stable  we can expect at least ten thousand more each
year. So even without filling in the historical gaps there will be a
steady increase in the total number of biographies on the pedia.
Large gaps in our coverage of people who retired pre-Internet are
slowly being filled in from the obituary pages, and that could
continue for decades. Every year there will be new films, books,
natural disasters and sports events.  So if we still have an editor
community to write them, we can expect a steady flow of new articles.

I think we need a model of article growth that blends two elements,
multiple bell curves showing the process of  initially populating the
pedia with various subjects, and an annual input of new articles on
newly notable subjects. I expect that on many subjects of interest to
our first wave of editors - computing, milhist, contemporary western
popular culture and the geography of the English speaking parts of the
developed world we have already gone quite away over the top of the
bell. But there are other bell curves that we are at much earlier
stages of. Judging from the newpages I've seen in the last few months
populated places in the Indian subcontinent is very much on the fast
rising side of the bell curve. The bell curves of species,
astronomical objects, chemicals, genes and chemicals are all in their
early stages. In future as new editors come on board or existing
editors acquire new enthusiasms we can expect that yet unwritten areas
of the pedia will go through their own bell curve expansions.

We still have a huge influx of new editors, though very few stick
around. I suspect the ultimate size of the pedia depends at least as
much on the way we treat new editors as it does on the availability of
easily accessible sources.

WereSpielChequers