[WikiEN-l] Jpg versus jpeg file extensions

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:56:05 UTC 2010

I noticed that a picture in an article was no longer displaying when
it had been displaying before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menin_Gate

The file is:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Menin_Gate.jpg

But in the article it had been entered as "File:Menin_Gate.jpeg".

Presumably the software treated jpg and jpeg the same, and this
changed recently.

Does anyone know where and why? I tried searching in help pages and on
Commons, but was getting too many hits. I did notice that the upload
process at Commons seemed to change recently to be .JPG (capitals) and
not .jpg (lowercase) so maybe it is all part of the same thing?

Anyone know anything about all this, or know where there is a page
detailing what changed?

Carcharoth