[WikiEN-l] Interesting exchange on copyright

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 9 03:48:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> This blog post[1], from the music composer Jason Robert Brown,
> discusses the morality and legality of copyright in the context of
> sheet music. It's based around an exchange with a teenager that
> evolves into a pretty interesting debate. It mentions Wikipedia, and
> links to other discussions that popped up in response. The ignorance
> of the basics of copyright law, and the ramifications in the Internet
> age, echo whats been written about (and on) Wikipedia over the years.
>
> Also on the same subject, David Pogue and Michael Hawley (formerly of
> MIT Medialab): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/08/technology/personaltech/08pogue-web.html
>
> [1] http://www.jasonrobertbrown.com/weblog/2010/06/fighting_with_teenagers_a_copy.php

Thanks for those links. I didn't have time to read all the comments on
the blog! But the blog and the article were interesting, especially
the point about how in some areas (obscure sheet music by long-dead
composers, as opposed to sheet music by living composers) the
crowdsourcing approach has produced better results than those selling
sheet music. And the comments about business models reminded me of the
debate about how digital photography changed the business model for
the production of photograph prints.

Carcharoth