[WikiEN-l] Jpg versus jpeg file extensions

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:22:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that a picture in an article was no longer displaying when
> it had been displaying before:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menin_Gate
>
> The file is:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Menin_Gate.jpg
>
> But in the article it had been entered as "File:Menin_Gate.jpeg".

It would seem the Commons image has been deleted:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Menin_Gate.jpeg&action=history

I'm not an admin, so I don't know if it was a duplicate of
[[commons:File:Menin Gate.jpg]] or not, but it was deleted
for lacking copyright info according to the log.

Going through the history of [[w:Menin Gate]], it looks like
it has always referred to the now-deleted image, not the
other one.

> Presumably the software treated jpg and jpeg the same, and this
> changed recently.

Nope. Never has. I think there might have been a bug asking for
it, but it certainly doesn't do that as of right now.

-Chad