[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue May 26 21:41:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

<snip>

> you could write a book on the biographies on Wikipedia

[...]

> Not a book you would want to publish or distribute in the UK, however.

Turning away from BLPs to featured articles, it is well-known that
articles on people make up a large proportion of the articles on
Wikipedia (last time I looked it was about 1 in 5). The number of
featured articles that are biographies is another interesting stat, as
is the number of featured articles we have that are BLPs.

Total number of articles: 2,893,595
Total number of articles on people: 673,918 (23.29% of all articles)
Total number of featured biographies: 618 (0.09% of biographies)
Total number of BLPs: 375,584 (55.73% of biographies)
Total number of featured BLPs: unknown

Can anyone work out that last figure?

A book consisting of the featured biographies might not be bad.

Carcharoth

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Biography_articles_by_quality