[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:03:31 UTC 2009

2009/5/26 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:

> Trying to do Biographies of living persons without a rule proved futile;
> so a written policy was created.

Which only works because it's NPOV/NOR/V with (a working aim for) no
eventualism whatsoever.

> We still don't have a corresponding
> policy for organizations.

It'd need a bad example as compelling as Siegenthaler.

> The underlying principle is don't hang an
> article on scraps of negative information, but you could write a book on
> the biographies on Wikipedia, and an even more interesting book if you
> collected all the half-cocked material we have excluded for one reason or
> another. Not a book you would want to publish or distribute in the UK,
> however.

*cough* indeed :-)

(The UK phone-call-receiving people do get calls or emails from UK
article subjects, with varying degrees of legal threat attached. As
per any customer support, solving the problem, or pointing them in the
right direction to solve the problem, usually deals with things very
nicely. I avoid editing legally problematic BLPs about UK-based
subjects, but in almost all cases they're happy to have someone
helping solve the problem. Pointing out that we take this very
seriously when we're alerted to it helps a great deal too.)

- d.