[WikiEN-l] How wikipedia could link into File Protection.

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Jul 31 05:49:52 UTC 2009

<WJhonson at aol.com> wrote in message news:d10.52ec3825.3798bb32 at aol.com...
> In a message dated 7/22/2009 7:01:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> sinewave at silentflame.com writes:
>
> OK - so  I think a fair summary of this proposal (correct me if I'm wrong)
> is:
> We  should create a group of experienced BLP editors (or similar) to
> edit a BLP  that has been the subject of an edit war. The page would be
> protected from  editing by other (non-sysop) users.>>
>
> Why do you say "non-sysop" ?  Are you proposing this editing be  limited
> admins ?
> If so I'd vigorously oppose.

The group, however moderated in membership, should normally control the
flags that allow all to read or write on a page that is as controversial as
a living subject. Only in a [[WP:wheel war]], where there was no polling (or
where the recording of the poll was not well done) on the talk page, would
an admin be stepping in. Note that you could not implement quizes without a
control like this, because there would be no way to prevent _everyone_ from
reading the answers in the source or the talk page for the bot that did the
quiz. It is better if users need to guess which answers they got wrong and
inquire of group members about why an answer might be wrong.