[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Watchlistr.com, an outside site that asks for Wikimedia passwords

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 19:59:04 UTC 2009

fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com>
Date: 2009/7/22
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Watchlistr.com, an outside site that asks for
Wikimedia passwords
To: wikitech-l at lists.wikimedia.org

I'm not sure what to do about this; it seems like a good idea but a
major security risk:

http://www.watchlistr.com/ is a site that creates aggregate watchlists
across multiple projects. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Bounty_board#Transwiki_watchlist_tool

The user who made it has very little editing history, and the site
aggregates watchlists across multiple projects, but requires inputting
your Wikimedia password into the watchlistr.com site.  I have no
specific reason to think it's a scam, but if I was trying to phish
passwords I would do something like this.

-Sage Ross (User:Ragesoss)