[WikiEN-l] A modest proposal - a recap of resolution-l

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:04:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Charles
Matthews<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Considering that Arbitrators regularly get hounded on their talk pages,
> and are subject to pile-ons in just about any forum, this is not my
> particular concern. The heat in the kitchen probably deters a fair
> number of likely candidates from coming forward to serve on the ArbCom;
> but this list wouldn't change that very much. I think you might suspect
> that three years of reading the Arbcom mail might convey some notions of
> the limitations of mailing lists, as well as the limitations of the ArbCom.

Well, Jimbo dealt with the same thing a few years ago, and in reality
the only issue was that he was trying to do too much. That's why I
stated in as blunt terms as possible that he needed to let go of his
baby, develop a core of trusted editors and empower them to deal with
things.

It's worked out swimmingly. The only issue then is that these other
beings seem to lack Jimbo's straightforward and personal approach. As
I've said a hundred times, Arbcom they are too overworked - and just
as overburdened in their own ways as Jimbo once was.  Begin phase
three.

> The point, sir, is that your approach is very clearly one of escalation,
> and forcing the issue, while clad in personal attack. This is
> diametrically opposite to all sane versions of dispute resolution. It
> actually does do something to discredit your idea.

Ah, so you have a point after all, sir. I don't understand how this is
all supposedly about some kind of personal attack. Clarification, sir,
if you please. And I am not really "forcing" the issue - just getting
the road cleared is all. What is "diametrically opposed to all sane
versions of dispute resolution?" The proposed resolution-l list? This
discussion? If you could define the above, perhaps what "it" is would
be clear, such that I would then know what "something" it "actually
does.. to discredit [my] idea."

> (It is is shame that I used the joke about hiring [[Malcolm McLaren]] as
> a babysitter on another occasion. Perhaps I should just pretend it is
> freshly minted.)

Shame indeed, and anyway I don't get the joke.  By the way, why is
[[McLaren]] an article about some sodding racing car outfit, and not a
proper surname disambiguation?

-Stevertigo