[WikiEN-l] A modest proposal - a recap of resolution-l

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 28 19:58:12 UTC 2009

stevertigo wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Charles
> Matthews<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>> Can you not do this thing of bad-mouthing people who disagree with you?
>> (See your attitude to Cary Bass.)
>>

> How have I bad-mouthed anyone?
*Splutter.*

>> You had very definite opposition from me. You can call me sub-articulate all you like, but I
>> don't think it will stick.
>>

> I would never call you sub-articulate, Charles. In fact you are one of
> the most articulate people I've ever dealt with.  However, with that
> said, as I recall in this case you just didn't have much of a point to
> make other than you didn't like it.
You do not recall correctly, then. Why not review the thread?
>  I would not say this means that
> you were sub-artculate, personally, but rather that your posting on
> the matter lacked the substantive and articulated argument we've
> generally come to expect from you.

See my earlier comment(s).

> I understand that you were Arbcom for a while, and you might suspect
> that resolution-l would just be a forum by which I could lambaste
> Arbcom, inline with the points I have been making recently about its
> lack of openness and responsiveness - concepts made clear in the
> WP:RFAR/OAR case.

Considering that Arbitrators regularly get hounded on their talk pages,
and are subject to pile-ons in just about any forum, this is not my
particular concern. The heat in the kitchen probably deters a fair
number of likely candidates from coming forward to serve on the ArbCom;
but this list wouldn't change that very much. I think you might suspect
that three years of reading the Arbcom mail might convey some notions of
the limitations of mailing lists, as well as the limitations of the ArbCom.

The point, sir, is that your approach is very clearly one of escalation,
and forcing the issue, while clad in personal attack. This is
diametrically opposite to all sane versions of dispute resolution. It
actually does do something to discredit your idea.

(It is is shame that I used the joke about hiring [[Malcolm McLaren]] as
a babysitter on another occasion. Perhaps I should just pretend it is
freshly minted.)

Charles