[WikiEN-l] NYT: Wikipedia May Be a Font of Facts, but It’s a Desert for Photos

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 12:57:10 UTC 2009

On 20/07/2009, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indirectly this helps our position with regard to NPG, because a significant
> part of NPG's argument is that WMF is impossible to work with.  Each time we
> develop a cooperative relationship with another cultural institution we
> prove that part of NPG's argument empirically wrong.  The more this happens,
> the more likely NPG is to look silly; the net effect could soften their
> approach.  Now is an excellent time to build those relationships because the
> current situation is drawing attention to the media side of Wikipedia.

I think there is another side of this though; whether NPG are silly or
not, the uploader ran an automated program to systematically rip their
site of high resolution images.

That's certainly pretty unfriendly; it's pretty clear that the NPG
didn't want people to use their website's resources for that purpose.

When you extract from a server an entire set of information that they
don't want you to have that's essentially 'hacking', it's clear to me
that in a pretty real sense the uploader hacked into their website.

In other words, this isn't necessarily simply about copyright.

--
-Ian Woollard

"All the world's a stage... but you'll grow out of it eventually."