[WikiEN-l] NYT: Wikipedia May Be a Font of Facts, but It’s a Desert for Photos

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 18:48:50 UTC 2009

Click-throughs are much lower, often on the level of 15,000-30,000 during
main page time.  Yet remember these are also generating a steady stream of
attention on the articles themselves.  The one amateur photo of a sound card
is receiving 2,000 direct page views at en:wiki plus an unknown number at
two dozen other language editions of Wikipedia.  Multiply that kind of
attention across a few hundred articles and one year: this has the potential
to become a major source of web traffic to the donating institution.

Bundesarchiv has retained full copyright over high resolution copies of the
images they uploaded (the copyright in these instances is uncontroversial).
Without any actual advertising, readers have been using the source link from
the image hosting page to go to the Bundesarchiv site and purchase high
resolution files.  Their sales of high resolution images have increased
significantly since the donation.

Whether and how to give additional credit is a question I'd rather not
address personally.  Whatever the community decides I'll honor; the salient
point is that even with what we do right now it's a net benefit to
institutions that are smart about it.  We need to communicate to them where
the advantages are, since this is new territory and a radical departure from
how they're used to operating.

Indirectly this helps our position with regard to NPG, because a significant
part of NPG's argument is that WMF is impossible to work with.  Each time we
develop a cooperative relationship with another cultural institution we
prove that part of NPG's argument empirically wrong.  The more this happens,
the more likely NPG is to look silly; the net effect could soften their
approach.  Now is an excellent time to build those relationships because the
current situation is drawing attention to the media side of Wikipedia.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/

--
http://durova.blogspot.com/