[WikiEN-l] Notability and Fiction

Sarah Ewart sarahewart at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 03:22:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> The nonsense this can lead to is visible in a current AfD,
> Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Hugo Austin ,   where the nominator's
> argument is that all the articles on all characters of the famous
> australian soap opera Home and Away should be deleted, because they
> are either too long or too short. Most of them are in fact, too long
> or too short , and need to be fixed, but there seems a substantial
> sentiment in favor of deleting rather than fixing.

This is incorrect.

"the nominator's argument is that all the articles on all characters of the
famous australian soap opera Home and Away should be deleted"

No, not all character articles were nominated. Notable characters such as
Sally Fletcher, Pippa Ross, Charlie Buckton, Lance Smart and others were not
nominated.

"should be deleted, because they are either too long or too short. "

This was not the nomination rationale at all. The comment about some being
very long and others being very short was just a description of the
articles, not a deletion rationale (of course, it would be an absurd reason
to delete). The nominator's deletion rationale was based on notability,
reliable sources and written in an "in universe" style.

I'm not going to get into any debate here on en-l but please be more careful
not to misrepresent AFD nominations currently in progress.