[WikiEN-l] Notability and Fiction

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 21:54:24 UTC 2009

See WT:RS and related discussions--the primary source is not just
accepted for the statement of the basic facts of the plot, but usually
preferred for it -- the interpretation of the plot is what needs the
secondary sources. Many plot sections, unfortunately, confuse the
two--I can not think of any type of article in Wikipedia where the
writing is so consistently below grade as articles or section on plot
or on fictional characters. Attempts to correct it usually reduce it
to  single line of teaser--which is of course equally wrong.

The nonsense this can lead to is visible in a current AfD,
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Hugo Austin ,   where the nominator's
argument is that all the articles on all characters of the famous
australian soap opera Home and Away should be deleted, because they
are either too long or too short. Most of them are in fact, too long
or too short , and need to be fixed, but there seems a substantial
sentiment in favor of deleting rather than fixing.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.