[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki is getting a new programming language

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 02:11:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Judson Dunn<cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:
> It would replace the nightmare parserfunction language in the more
> complex templates. Here is a random example of one of those type:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Backlognav_inner&action=edit

The thing I find astonishing is that people are willing to work with
these templates and actually maintain them. I've coded regexes, tcl,
sh, prolog, haskell, C..., but I have absolutely no desire to get this
crap on my hands.

Anyone know if the people who work with these templates are
experienced coders, or just wikipedians who have gotten into it as a
pleasant sunday afternoon mindfuck?

Steve